Sunday, March 2, 2014

6 Terrific Movies You Should Watch

Here in New England, we're dealing with another week of miserable below freezing temperatures.  There's not much to do but make some soup and pop in a good movie.  Tens of thousands of studio theater movies have been released since the '20s (and equally as many indie films) so there are plenty from which we can choose.  One attribute good movies share is telling a quality story.  I've thought about some of the best movies I've seen in my life and compiled a brief list of the ones that have touched my heart and haunted my mind. 

Suture [1993]


Synopsis: Clay visits his half-brother Vincent in Phoenix after the two meet at their father's funeral. Clay remarks to Vincent how similar they look.  Vincent then uses this exceptional resemblance against his brother. He plants his identification on Clay and then attempts, unsuccessfully, to murder him. Clay awakes from the accident with amnesia and a badly burned face.  He is told that he is Vincent, and is accused of committing the murder of his rich father. Clay sets out to find the truth, his memory and his identity, but he is looking into the life of someone else.

I saw this movie once as a teenager, so it’s been equally as long since I’ve watched it.  However, the aspect of this film I found to be fantastic, and have always raved about, was the casting of the brothers Clay and Vincent.  In reality, the actors look nothing alike (Haysbert is black and Harris is white) so the audience is asked to accept the idea that they’re nearly-identical characters, and this made for an effective storytelling technique.  Outside of that, the plot was exciting and the story was wonderfully told.

You can watch the trailer here.
 

The Pact [2012]


Synopsis: Annie does not want to return to her childhood home for her abusive mother's funeral until her sister Nicole goes missing.  Annie reluctantly goes back to their mother's house to sort things out but is tormented by a malevolent presence in the house.  She finds herself falling deeper into a complex mystery that becomes more muddled with the more she learns.

Horror movies are by far my favorite genre but I find most horror movies fail to deliver.  The Pact, however, reeled me in with fright from the very beginning.  Throughout the movie there were many plots twists and moments of suspense that kept me engaged.  The ending was wonderfully unexpected and terrifying.  I actually pulled my blanket up to my eyes as I watched!

You can watch the trailer here.
 
La Vie est Belle (Life is Beautiful) [1997]


Synopsis: In 1930s Italy, a lighthearted Jewish bookkeeper, Guido starts a fairy tale life by courting the woman of his dreams.  The two marry, have a son and live together happily until the occupation of Italy by German forces. In an attempt to help his son survive the horrors of a Jewish Concentration Camp, Guido pretends that the Holocaust is an elaborate game played on an enormous level and that the grand prize for winning is a tank. 

This movie is one of the most touching films ever made.  It is incredibly heartbreaking yet has countless moments of hope, humor and faith in humanity.  At the time I saw La Vie est Belle I had been traveling extensively so to this day I don’t know if it was heavily promoted.  My friends and I popped into a Canadian theater to watch it on a whim just to avoid the rain.  I’m so glad we did.  We were all in silent awe and reverence when we left.

You can watch the trailer here.

Departures [2008]


Synopsis: Daigo Kobayashi is a cellist in an orchestra that dissolves and finds himself unemployed. He and his wife decide to move back into childhood home so he can look for work and they can start a new life.  Daigo answers a classified ad entitled "Departures" believing it involves work within a travel agency, but learns it's actually the position of a funeral professional.  His employment requires him to prepare deceased bodies for burial and entry into the next life.  While his wife and others despise the job, Daigo takes pride in his work and begins to develop a new appreciation for life.  

My husband and I watched this movie on the recommendation of a friend.  It was one of the best movies we had seen in a long time.  The film was profound and even comical at times as Daigo struggles to accept his new position.  It’s important to remember as you watch the film the stigma that exists towards people who handle corpses.  I don’t find there is such a stigma here in the US so you really needed to shift your perspective to fully appreciate the story.


The Wrong Box [1966]


Synopsis: A tontine (financial arrangement) is established for a dozen children.  Money is put in for each child to grow with interest, and the last survivor is to get the inheritance.  One by one, members of the group (comically) meet their demise until only two brothers are left. One brother is watched by his nephews who will keep him alive at all costs, while the other lives in ill health and poverty as the only support of his grandson. Statues and bodies are switched, in the wrong boxes until everyone is sure someone – maybe, hopefully – has died.

Like Suture, I saw this movie as a teenager and have thought back on how much I enjoyed it.  The Wrong Box has classic British comedy with constant hysterical nonsense.  Time has faded my memory on specifics (although I do recall some silliness about an egg,) but I know I laughed throughout the duration of the film.  If you like British comedies I can say with confidence that you will, too.

 
Captain’s Courageous [1937]


Synopsis: Spoiled child, Harvey, is expelled from school.  After his father speaks with Harvey’s schoolmaster, he decides to take his son on an ocean liner cruise because he feels some quality father/son time would do Harvey good.  Harvey falls off the boat into the Atlantic when he tries to impress other boys on the cruise about his father’s wealth and status, but is rescued by a Portuguese fisherman who brings him aboard his fishing boat.  Harvey is unable to bribe the crew into returning him to the distancing ocean liner, and when he tries to convince them of his father’s status they simply laugh.  Not being able to contact anyone, (as it was the 1930s), Harvey finds himself having to work hard instead of receiving things on a silver platter as he had been accustomed.  

I own a copy of this movie and have seen it countless times.  The character development is absolutely amazing.  Though the concept of hard labor makes good character is a long-standing theme, that predictability doesn’t negatively impact the story.  It is heartwarming, comical and moving.  There is no other movie I love more than this one.

You can watch the trailer here. 

Have you seen these movies?  Do you have more to recommend?  I'd love to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment